The latest issue of Shiftonomics explores how brands like Taco Bell and Dunkin’ are expanding beyond their typical quick-serve fare to create lifestyle experiences for consumers, why early wage access has become a benefit for retaining restaurant employees, the CBD retail boom, and more.
💵 New Perk for Fast-Food Workers: Finish a Shift, Get Cash to Go
💅 Polish Off Your Signature Look with Dunkin’s First-Ever Nail Polish Collection
💥 'Gold Rush': Cannabidiol Industry Booms Amid Uncertain Regulation
🏨 Why Brands Like LVMH, Taco Bell, and West Elm Are Opening Hotels
📖 Sephora will temporarily close all its stores on June 5
🏆 2019 Appy Award Winners: Branch
💵 New Perk for Fast-Food Workers: Finish a Shift, Get Cash to Go | Via Bloomberg
- Bloomberg’s Leslie Patton reports on the growing popularity of early wage access as a benefit to retain restaurant employees during this tight labor market, including commentary from Branch CEO Atif Siddiqi and Branch user and Pizza Hut franchise owner Erik Bittner.
- U.S. unemployment at 49-year low highlights worker shortage
- Pizza Hut, Church’s Chicken staff can get paychecks faster
💅Polish Off Your Signature Look with Dunkin’s First-Ever Nail Polish Collection | Via Dunkin’
- America runs on Dunkin’...and nail polish? The coffee and baked good chain recently introduced eight nail polish colors inspired by Dunkin’s Signature Lattes, Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream Flavored Coffees, and their orange and pink colors.
- Dunkin’ is partnering with Lauren B. Beauty, a vegan-friendly nail polish company for the limited edition polishes
- Guests who visit a participating salon and select a Dunkin’ color will receive a $3 Dunkin’ gift card, while supplies last
💥 'Gold Rush': Cannabidiol Industry Booms Amid Uncertain Regulation | Via NPR
- NPR’s Liam Niemeyer discusses how the latest Farm Bill signed by President Trump in December legalizing the cultivation of the crop that produces Cannabidiol (CBD) at the federal level has led to an industry boom, especially among retailers. CBD is a compound that is increasingly becoming popular because of the alleged health benefits users report. But uncertainty in federal regulation, particularly whether CBD should be in food, is creating doubts of how far this industry can go.
- Retailers across the country, including Walgreens and CVS, have invested in the CBD industry
- Estimates project CBD product sales were worth $390 million in 2018 and could triple to more than $1.2 billion dollars by 2022
🏨 Why Brands Like LVMH, Taco Bell, and West Elm Are Opening Hotels | Via AdAge
- Welcome to the Hotel Taco Bell...and West Elm...and LVMH. Following Taco Bell’s announcement of opening a pop-up hotel in Palm Springs, California, AdAge contributor Jenessa Carder explores how a range of brands are part of growing trend provides consumers with an immersive brand experience.
- The hotel creates an environment that puts the product into the hands of the customer, encouraging them to try it, often for an extended period of time, before, ultimately, committing to a purchase
- A hotel environment takes these opportunities to new levels and enables brands to measure customer activity in a multitude of settings, such as the booking of activities, meals, entertainment selection, even wake-up times
📖 Sephora will temporarily close all its stores on June 5 | Via Business Insider
- Business Insider’s Kate Taylor reports that Sephora is closing locations across the US on the morning of June 5 to hold inclusion workshops for employees and build a "more inclusive beauty community."
- The announcement comes after Sephora faced backlash earlier in May when musician SZA tweeted that an employee called security on her while she was shopping at a Sephora location in Calabasas, California
- Similar to the steps previously taken by Starbucks and Chipotle, every Sephora store, distribution center, and corporate office in the US will close to host workshops for employees
🏆 2019 Appy Award Winners: Branch | Via MediaPost
- Mediapost’s 2019 Appy Award Winners were announced, honoring Branch for the Wildcard category. Branch joins an esteemed list of companies including MTV, HBO, and Overstock.com.
Have an interesting story about the world of hourly work or want to be featured in Shiftonomics? Reach out to us at email@example.com.
Subscribe to Shiftonomics by Branch | Branch Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox