💡 Industry Spotlight: Conversation with CFSI’s Beth Brockland
🏬 One of the most valuable malls in America is getting a makeover
🚚 Amazon’s Freight Push Rattles Logistics Sector
📉 US retail store closures in 2019 already surpass last year's total: Report
🤦 Employees frustrated by today's learning programs, study shows
🍔 America is running out of Impossible Burgers
🏆 Branch Recognized by FinancesOnline for Premium Usability
In this edition of Shiftonomics, we’re excited to bring you an Industry Spotlight on the Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI). We sat down with CFSI’s Senior Director, Beth Brockland, who leads CFSI’s strategy for financial health in the workplace, to talk about her experiences in increasing opportunities for underserved communities, workplace wellness programs, and what she thinks are the biggest financial challenges hourly workers are facing.
Check out this interview, plus the latest stories in hourly work including mall makeovers, interesting research on store closures (and openings!), and the next fast food chain to embrace meatless meat.
💡 Industry Spotlight: Conversation with CFSI’s Beth Brockland | Via Branch
- We highlight the Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI), a non-profit and leading authority in focused on consumer financial health and Senior Director Beth Brockland, who leads CFSI’s strategy for financial health in the workplace.
- Employers have an important role to play in supporting their employees’ financial health, especially as unpredictable schedules and income volatility make it very hard for hourly workers to manage their finances and put money aside for the future.
To learn more about Beth’s work and other great CFSI initiatives, visit https://cfsinnovation.org/ or attend their annual conference EMERGE May 14-15, 2019 in Scottsdale, AZ. You may cross paths with our very own Head of Product Ahmed Siddiqui!
🏬 One of the most valuable malls in America is getting a makeover | Via CNBC
- CNBC’s Lauren Thomas reports that one of the most valuable malls in America Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield’s Garden State Plaza mall in Paramus, New Jersey -- is about to get a total makeover, further signaling how bricks-and-mortar retail is evolving to include places to work, workout and even live — not just buy clothes.
- After the upgrades are complete, Garden State Plaza will have a residential community, office space and an outdoor park.
- Many landlords are looking for ways to redefine their malls today, as retailers close up shop and consumers’ preferences evolve.
🚚 Amazon’s Freight Push Rattles Logistics Sector | Via WSJ
- Wall Street Journal’s Jennifer Smith dives into Amazon’s deeper push into logistics and management of transportation costs ahead of a pricey push into one-day shipping, raising potential concerns for freight operators that may end up competing for business.
- The online retailer has opened an online freight brokerage platform to connect shippers with available trucks, offering service in five Eastern states.
- Analysts and industry experts said the move, previously reported Friday by trucking data and news provider FreightWaves, poses risks to freight brokers and truckload carriers.
📉 US retail store closures in 2019 already surpass last year's total: Report |Via Fox Business
- Fox Business’ Thomas Barrabi discusses a new report from Coresight Research that found the retail apocalypse to be continuing, with 5,994 store closings announced in the US this year compared with 5,864 in all of 2018.
- This includes a mix of retailers like Fred's and Family Dollar, who are closing select stores, while chains like Payless plan to close all of their stores.
- On the bright side, there have been 2,641 store openings announced this year so far, compared with 3,239 openings in all of 2018 according to Coresight.
🤦 Employees frustrated by today's learning programs, study shows | Via HR Dive
- HR Dive’s Kathryn Moody and Riia O’Donnell delve into a new report that finds employees are frustrated with the learning options and tools offered by employers.
- Just 27% of the 1,000 employees surveyed found their employers' L&D offerings meaningful and useful.
- Nearly 75 percent of employees feel their organization’s current learning culture is less than effective.
🍔America is running out of Impossible Burgers | Via CNN Business
- CNN Business’ Jordan Valinsky and Danielle Wiener-Bronner report that interest in Impossible Foods' plant-based meat alternative is growing so much that the company is struggling to keep up.
- The acknowledgment comes just after the company expanded its partnership with Burger King. Earlier this week, the fast food chain shared that it plans to sell the meatless patty as a Whopper at all of its US locations by the end of the year.
- On top of that, demand for Impossible products within those 7,000 locations has more than doubled, Impossible Foods CFO David Lee told CNN Business.
🏆Branch Recognized by FinancesOnline for Premium Usability | Via Branch
- We’re excited to share that Branch has been recognized by FinancesOnline for Premium Usability and a Rising Star company! Check out our blog post or the FinancesOnline review for more details.
Have an interesting story about the world of hourly work or want to be featured in Shiftonomics? Reach out to us at email@example.com.