Happy Shiftoween! This edition of Shifto highlights the news that will answer burning questions including how long does it really take for candymakers to get ready for Halloween? How many employees does UPS aim to hire this year? How much Starbucks’ same-store sales have increased? And ICYMI, we have the scoop on Mastercard Accelerate and Branch CEO’s segment with Digital Trends Live.
🍬How the maker of Skittles and M&Ms gets ready for Halloween
🚚UPS Aims to Recruit 100,000 Holiday Workers. That’s No Small Feat in This Labor Market
☕Starbucks revenue climbs 7% to top Street view as same-store sales increase
🚀Mastercard Launches Accelerate to Supercharge Fintech Success
📺Digital Trends Live: Branch’s Atif Siddiqi
🍬How the maker of Skittles and M&Ms gets ready for Halloween | Via CNN
CNN’s Danielle Wiener-Bronner explains how it takes the maker of M&M's, Skittles and Snickers two years to get ready for Halloween.
- Before coming up with a new product, Mars Wrigley polls customers on what they want. Its food scientists test out several variations and perfect their recipes. Then its marketing team pulls together a plan to ensure the candy makes a splash. Only then can stores place their orders — months ahead of Halloween — and figure out how to display them.
- In 2016, Mars Wrigley poured $50 million into its Yorkville, Illinois, candy factory to expand the facility — which also makes Life Savers and Doublemint and Juicy Fruit gums — and add a Skittles production line.
🚚UPS Aims to Recruit 100,000 Holiday Workers. That’s No Small Feat in This Labor Market | Via Fortune
Fortune’s Alex Nicoll writes about Brown Friday, UPS’ third annual event to for seasonal hiring taking place in 180 cities across 43 states.
- As part of the push to hire 100,000 temporary workers for the holidays, UPS plans to recruit half that number in just one day when it puts on its third annual “Brown Friday” hiring event Nov. 1.
- UPS views its ability to keep its hiring levels constant as a testament that its recent investment in automation is paying off, said Glenn Zacarra, director of communications for UPS. Moreover, he added, other technology improvements are expected to expedite training for temporary workers.
☕Starbucks revenue climbs 7% to top Street view as same-store sales increase | Via MarketWatch
MarketWatch’s Wallace Witkowski dives into Starbucks Corp.’s reported fiscal fourth-quarter earnings released late Wednesday, with revenue climbing 7%.
- The summer’s rollout of Nitro Cold Brew boosted results as both revenue and same-store sales climbed.
- “I’m very pleased with our strong finish to fiscal 2019, as we sustained positive momentum across each of our business segments,” said Kevin Johnson, Starbucks president and CEO, in a statement. “Our U.S. business delivered 6% comparable store sales growth in the fourth quarter
🚀Mastercard Launches Accelerate to Supercharge Fintech Success | Via Mastercard
Mastercard announced the launch of Mastercard Accelerate, a global initiative that simplifies the way that Mastercard works with fintechs, giving them access to everything they need to grow quickly.
- Accelerate will enable fintechs to be onboarded to Mastercard in a matter of weeks and provide a guided experience through everything the company can offer.
- Mastercard is taking a thoughtful approach to partnerships by identifying the brightest companies with the most promising technology, including Branch!
📺Digital Trends Live: Branch’s Atif Siddiqi | Via Digital Trends
Digital Trends Live’s Greg Nibler welcomes Branch CEO Atif Siddiqi to talk about the launch of a new debit card and checking account that allows users to withdraw wages as they’re earned, for free.
Subscribe to Shiftonomics by Branch | Branch Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox